Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Schwebel adds her vioce to the MoreMonmouthMusings "N" word controversy

I recieved a personal email (not a blog comment Art) last night from the former Chairwoman of the Middletown Human Rights Commission Carolyn Schwebel, Ed.D.

Mrs Schwebel who is currently the vice chair of the Monmouth County Human Rights Commission wanted me to pass along to the readers of this blog and to the readers of Art Gallagher's MoreMonmouthMusings the following thoughts;

On a sunny day, two young friends taking a walk smiled at the family they passed. The cute little girl yelled at one, "Go back where you came from!" The young African-American man, "stabbed" again, replied, "I live across the street. I came from here!"

"You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,"
(-Oscar Hammerstein, 1949)

A nine-year-old school child came to me in tears, saying,
"Larry keeps calling me a (N-word) and laughing."

"He jests at scars that neverf felt a wound."
(Romeo, in Shakespeare)

A local blogger disingenuously uses the "N-word" in offensive ways: "Take an ( 'N-word') to lunch," In a purported effort to enhance interacial understanding and communication.

" What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach,..."
(Captain in "Cool Hand Luke")

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can really hurt me!"

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Maya Angelou


Thank You Dr. Schwebel for your thoughtful insights

1 comment:

Art Gallagher said...

Schwebel is making the same points I am. Even used a saying I used in the initial post about race.

People are talking. That what I wanted to have happen.