Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rick Bolger Candidate for NJ State Assembly District 11, Answers 10 Questions

Last week I sent out a questionnaire to the Democratic State Assembly Candidates for districts 11,12 and 13 to answer. The questionnaire contained 10 questions about themselves and the districts that they wish to serve. The only criteria that I had was that they keep their answers short and to the point, 3- 4 sentences or less due to space.

The first to respond was Brielle Councilman Rick Bolger who along with his running mate Randy Bishop, is seeking an assembly seat in the 11th district.

His answers I think, are very informative and insightful. They turned out to be better than what I had been expecting, but to be honest I really did know what to expect.

If other candidates would like to answer these questions, feel free to forward me your answers and I will gladly post them here.

Below are the questions with Candidate Bolger's responses:

1. What is your motivation for seeking a seat in the NJ State Assembly and can you tell us a little about yourself?

My motivation is to make a difference. Four years ago, I nearly lost my life to a rare hepatic disease. I was granted a second chance through a life-saving liver transplant. Since then, I have devoted myself to public service, first as a Brielle Councilman and now, hopefully as an Assemblyman


2. As you meet residents throughout your district what seems to be the greatest concerns they are expressing and how do you plan to address them?

Anger and Apathy. These emotions are the result of a lack of confidence in our elected officials and the overall cost of living in New Jersey.

3. What do you hope to accomplish once you are elected to the State Assembly?

I will bring a large spotlight and a loud voice to Trenton. My realistic goal is to establish a meaningful dialogue and good faith effort to change the partisan political climate in our government.

4. What is it that makes your district unique and how does that uniqueness impact your campaign?

Twenty-five unique municipalities and the Atlantic Ocean. The preservation and promotion of our greatest natural resource is a significant factor in the economic welfare of the 11th District. As a life-long resident of the District, I appreciate the special character and history all 25 towns. I want to preserve the individual identity of each town yet I am a strong advocate of consolidating services wherever possible.

5. If elected, how would your professional background enhance your ability to be an effective State Assembly representative?

I have been a lawyer for 31 years. I am proud to be a lawyer, proud of an unblemished ethical record and proud of my success as a trial attorney. My focus has now shifted to serving my community and I will take the same successful work ethic, character, reason and advocacy to Trenton.

6. Do you have any thoughts on how to contain the growth of state government?

Strong scrutiny of all existing governmental entities. Establish a policy prohibiting the creation of any new positions, committees, etc. without the elimination of at least two others.

7. Is there any aspect of state government that you believe there is a need to be expanded upon?

No.

8. Why should residents of your district trust you to represent them in the legislature?

Any resident of the 11th district who takes the time to visit my website and read my position papers will know they can trust me to be different and to do exactly what I promise to do. I will approach my first term without regard for re-election.

9. Why do you identify yourself as a Democrat as opposed to a Republican or Independent?

Frankly, I'd like to think that my personal political philosophy incorporates the best principles of all three. (D, R, & I) Yet, I am a Democrat at heart, and proud to be associated with the ideals of the Democratic Party.

10. Is there anything that is important to you that hasn’t been asked, that you would like to address?

The concept of property taxes, and the state's role in establishing and collecting property taxes is largely misunderstood by most people. We need clarification. We also need a frank discussion about the individual taxpayers' role in property tax control.


I think Rick Bolger set the bar rather high here and I hope that when the other candidates send me their responses, they will be as insightful as Rick has been.

If you would like to learn more about Rick Bolger visit his website, it is put together very well and is extremely informative.

No comments: