Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Independent Candidate for NJ State Assembly District 13, Sean Dunne

For the benefit of those who live in New Jersey's 13th Legislative District and in the spirit of being "fair and balanced", I thought that I should let people know that there is a 3rd party candidate seeking to upset Republicans Amy Handlin or Fred Thompson for their seat in the State Assembly.

Holmdel resident Sean Dunne is running as an Independent this year.

Sean sent me an email, reaching out, in hopes that I would give him and his campaign a mention. He said a few nice things about me and the MiddletownMike blog in his email (let's just say he knows how to be politically correct).

I responded back to Mr. Dunne by letting him know upfront that I was a democrat and that I would be supporting his Democratic opponents Jim Grenafege and Bob Brown while I pointing out to him that his positions on the issues weren't that different from Jim's and Bob's.

He responded with some nice words of understanding and goods words for both Jim and Bob and added:

"You and I do have something in common. We both want Handlin out. I personally think Thompson has been there far too long, and I just think that Handlin has done nothing, besides raise fines for underage drinking at the arts center. Here's my point: If Handlin rushed out legislation to punish underage drinking after the unfortunate event at the Arts Center, why has she not done anything meaningful to punish corruption when it happened right under her nose? I have noticed that Democrats do focus on Handlin, and I can understand why...."

So with that, I decided I would thank him for his good words and tell you a little about him and his campaign.

His "bio", which can be read at his website www.votedunne.org states;

"...Sean grew up in Monmouth County, New Jersey. He attended Monmouth County schools from kindergarten through 12th grade. After graduating from James Madison University, Sean moved to Ireland where he lived for nearly ten years. He completed postgraduate work that led to the completion of his Doctorate in Sociology in July, 2008...."

On the issues, Sean would like to see mandatory minimum sentences for corrupt politicians and term limits. He would like to end the careers of political entrepreneurs - those who see public office as a financial opportunity and he feels that members of the State Assembly are over paid for the part-time work that they do. He feels that at $45,000 a year, Assembly members are over paid. Their salaries should be immediately cut to $35,000 which would save the State $800,000 annually.

Sean Dunne also sent along this letter to the editor that he wished for me to post:

As an Independent Candidate for State Assembly in District 13, I have
had the opportunity to speak with many people who live in our area.
Many are disenchanted and disillusioned by the rotten corruption that
sits at the heart of New Jersey politics. No amount of advertising
from Republicans or Democrats is capable of convincing voters that
either party has taken the necessary steps to prevent the corrupt
practices that several members of both parties have engaged in
throughout the years.

Albert Einstein told us that “The world is a dangerous place, not
because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do
nothing”. I’ve asked the people at their doorsteps if Assemblyman
Thompson or Assemblywoman Handlin of this District have done anything
to end the culture of corruption in New Jersey. Their answer has
consistently been, “no”. Voters can do something about the corruption
that raises the already high cost of living in our state. They can
vote for an Independent that will fight the rancid corruption that has
been found within both political parties. I ask all readers who also
believe that Republicans and Democrats “look on and do nothing” about
the issue of corruption to join our fight and vote Sean Dunne for
State Assembly on November 3rd.

Dr. Sean Dunne

I would like to wish my new friend Sean Dunne good luck in his quest for the State Assembly. His positions on issues are not that much different from my own thinking and those of his Democratic opponents. In the future it would be nice if Sean Dunne, Jim Grenafege and Bob Brown could work together to help solve issues that effect the 13th district and New Jersey as a whole.


1 comment:

Sean said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for mentioning me and my campaign on your blog.

I think it's important that people start up blogs on local politics, as there is less and less coverage of the issues by larger media outlets. So, it's great that you're doing this, regardless of who you endorse for the November election.

I've heard more criticism of the exisiting representation for District 13 from Republicans than I have heard from Democrats, despite the fact that we are represented by the Republican Party in both the Assembly and the Senate. This is the state that our district is in.

As someone who is neither Republican or Democrat, I strongly believe that we need to present the case that many already believe to be true. 2 choices in the voting booth is not good for New Jersey, or anywhere for that matter. I hope my campaign attracts other citizens that feel the same way, but have had few chances to express that opinion before.

While we aren't in agreement on who the electorate should vote for on November 3rd, I still think it's great you're doing this blog, and I hope you continue to do it for many years to come.

Thanks again for the coverage,
Sean
www.votedunne.org
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sean-Dunne/117746547077