FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 17, 2016
Long Branch, NJ --- Today, Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (NJ-06) announced that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a second contract for Phase II of the Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction Project in Port Monmouth. The $23,146,120.00 Contract 2 includes constructing a levee/floodwall, pump station, and a storm gate, tying into the existing Keansburg levee. The funding is part of the $110 million allocated for Port Monmouth in the Sandy relief package that Pallone worked to secure in 2013. The contract was awarded to Anselmi & DeCiccio of Maplewood, New Jersey. The overall project is broken up into six contracts, and includes constructing a system of levees, floodwalls, a tide gate, road closure structures, mitigation, road raising and pump stations. The first contract of $13,696,687.00 for Phase II was awarded in July to Kyle Conti Construction of Hillsborough, New Jersey.
|Congressman Frank Pallone Jr.|
"Many in Port Monmouth faced serious flooding during Sandy and I am glad to see another important step taken towards phase two being completed," said Pallone "All along the Bayshore, flooding has become an increasingly common phenomenon as severe storms have become more frequent and residential and commercial development has increased. The work being done here will strengthen our local infrastructure, reduce future damage, and keep our communities safe."
"The award of the Port Monmouth Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction Project Contract 2 is another critical step in the Corps' efforts to increase resiliency measures for this community," said COL David Caldwell, Commander, USACE, New York District. "Large storm events will always be a threat, so it's critical we continue to do all we can to help mitigate potential flood damage and increase resiliency to vulnerable communities like Port Monmouth. That's why we now have a second announcement of a contract award for the next elements just 30 days after breaking ground on Phase 2 of the Port Monmouth Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction Project . I am pleased to say we're moving to construction as aggressively as possible thanks to the support of the community, leaders, and elected officials. Port Monmouth is on its way to becoming much more resilient."
The first phase of the project was successfully completed in June of 2015 and included dune restoration, beach replenishment, groin work, extension of the fishing pier, and construction of protective dunes. The entire $110 million effort will offer significant protection to the area, which has suffered frequent flooding, erosion and damage from rain and coastal storms in recent years. The Army Corps of Engineers hopes to complete the entire project by 2020.
Last month, Congressman Pallone joined Colonel David A. Caldwell, Commander of the New York District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Bob Martin, Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection and Middletown Mayor Gerard Scharfenberger, to mark the beginning of construction for Phase II of the project in Port Monmouth.