Middletown Public Information:
Did you know?
Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving
The Middletown Township Fire Department provides the following
safety tips for safe and happy Thanksgiving!
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove.
- The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids.
- The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffeemaker, plate warmer or mixer are not
- dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit a candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Have activities that keep kids out of the kitchen during this busy time. Games,
puzzles or books can keep them busy. Kids can get involved in Thanksgiving
preparations with recipes that can be done outside the kitchen.