Friday, May 1, 2015

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right

This past week, in response to the civil unrest down in Baltimore and the highly publicized incident where a mother was filmed beating and cussing out her masked and hoodie wearing 16 year old son who thought he should join in on the rioting, Keith Olberman posted the following commentary on his Facebook page taking acceptation to the comments of the Baltimore Chief of Police.

It's a powerful statement that I agree with and hope people will acknowledge:
In my upbringing, my parents made it clear, "TWO WRONGS, DON'T MAKE A RIGHT." 
What is happening across the country with police gunning down defenseless men/women is absolutely wrong. Or severing a person's spinal cord. I stand by all non-violent protesting. I will walk side by side with you. But when it becomes too violent protesting, I will not participate. The whole purpose of protesting is b/c of violence from the people who are there to serve and protect. I cannot emphasize the importance of non-violent protests.
NOW TO THE POLICE CHIEF IN BALTIMORE:
Batts said: In one scene you had a mother who grabbed a child who had a hood on his head and started smacking him on the head because she was so embarrassed.
'I wish there were more parents out there who took charge of their kids tonight.’
He later added: "Take control of your kids. This is our city, let’s make a difference."
Take control of your kids. This is our city, let's make a difference? Seriously??? HOW ABOUT YOU TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OUT OF CONTROL POLICE FORCE??? How about that??? This is exactly why things go bad. B/c we have a police chief who is completely insensitive to the needs of these people. Surely we can all agree that there are white folks that are violent to the core. I am white. Does that mean I should condone white violence b/c I am white??? Absolutely NOT!!! I do not condone white officers beating on any person's body. OR shooting an unarmed person. Whether black, white or other. And until we can all agree that "two wrongs, don't make a right." This shit is never gonna end. We need to hold ourselves to higher standards, than those who think we are worth nothing. I am with our president on this one.

No comments: