DPE Momentum Continues To Grow
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Today, Democrats For Public Education (DPE) released a list of bold-face names who signed on as supporters for the newly-launched organization. DPE is a 527 formed to show that Democrats remain united around a core set of principles to ensure public education thrives for generations to come. Since officially launching on August 19th, 2014, scores of elected officials, party leaders and activists at all levels of government - and from communities in all 50 states - have already added their names as supporters.
"In less than two months since officially launching, its no surprise that Democrats for Public Education has already enjoyed such a flood of support," said DPE Co-Chair Denise Juneau, Montana State Superintendent of Instruction. "These folks understand that a high-quality public education is an economic necessity, a moral imperative and a pillar of democracy. We believe we should be lifting up and championing public education, teachers and our neighborhood schools - by investing time, energy and resources."
Below is just a small sampling of Democrats from all across America who have signed on to support DPE:
- Parris Glendening - Former Maryland Governor
- Mark Schauer - Candidate for Governor of Michigan, Former U.S. Representative
- Lon Johnson - Michigan Democratic Party Chair, DNC Member
- Ray Buckley - New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair, DNC Vice-Chair, ASDC President
- Wallace Collins - Oklahoma Democratic Party Chair, DNC Member
- Karen Carter Peterson - Louisiana Democratic Party Chair, Louisiana State Senator, DNC Executive Committee
- Diane Ravitch - NYU Research Professor of Education, Former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education
- Rita Solnet - Co-Founder of Parents Across America, Former PTA President and Former School Advisory Board Member for Palm Beach County Schools
- Alice Huffman - California NAACP President, National Board of Directors of the NAACP, DNC Member
- Doris Crouse-Mays - Virginia AFL-CIO President, DNC Executive Committee
- Minyon Moore - Former Assistant to the President, Director of White House Political Affairs and Director of White House Public Liasion under President Clinton, DNC Executive Committee, Democratic Strategist
- Maria Cardona - Former Senior Advisor and spokesperson for the Hillary Clinton for President Campaign, former Senior Vice President for the New Democrat Network (NDN), served as Deputy Press Secretary and Press Secretary at the Department of Commerce, former Communications Director the Democratic National Committee, Democratic Strategist
- Loretta Weinberg - New Jersey State Senate Majority Leader
- Martha Fuller Clark - New Hampshire State Senator, First Vice-Chair of New Hampshire Democratic Party, DNC Member
- Rich Madaleno - Maryland State Senator
- Bonnie Watson Coleman - New Jersey Assemblywoman, candidate for Congress
- Edie McClafferty - Member, Montana State House of Representatives
- Margie MacDonald - Member, Montana State House of Representatives
- Ellen Cogen Lipton - Member, Michigan State House of Representatives
- Mimi Stewart - Member, New Mexico State House of Representatives
- Joel Briscoe - Minority Caucus Manager and Member, Utah State House of Representatives
- Anita Bonds - District of Columbia Council Member At-Large, DNC Executive Committee
- Barbra Casbar Siperstein - New Jersey Democratic State Committee Vice-Chair and DNC Executive Committee
- Andres Ramirez - Vice-Chair, DNC Hispanic Caucus
- Karren Pope-Onwukwe - Attorney and DNC Member, Maryland
- Lottie Shackelford - Chair of DNC Women’s Caucus, Former Mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas
- Maggie Allen - Principal at Windsor Elementary School (Maine), DNC Member
Last month, Democrats For Public Education (DPE) released the results of a national voter survey showing voters back public education in large numbers. You can view the poll memo on its findings here.
For more information – and to sign-up as a supporter – please visit www.DemocratsForPublicEducation.com.