Saturday, September 6, 2014

Legacy Of Service

The following is from Congressman Rush Holt's newsletter

When reports surfaced in March that dozens of veterans had died while awaiting medical attention in other states, I wanted to know what kind of experience veterans in New Jersey were having. I sent surveys to more than 2,500 veterans in my District, asking them very straightforward questions about the scheduling process, wait times, and the quality of care they have been receiving at NJ VA medical facilities. Of the 140 responses I received, 95 said that they were happy with the care they had received, and 45 reported dissatisfaction with delays and with the state of facilities. While the positive response reaffirms that the VA system in New Jersey often provides excellent, compassionate, and skilled care, the negative responses demonstrate that there is still work to be done.


I am happy to report that with my support, Congress passed – and the President signed into law – a bipartisan bill to grant veterans greater access to medical care outside of the VA under certain circumstances, and provide monetary support to improve VA facilities and alleviate the physician shortage.

My Mailbag

Recently, I joined Robert Ahr on his postal route in Manville. The U.S. Postal Service is a unique feature in our society that helps build our communities.

As your voice in the U.S. House of Representatives, I always strive to represent you and the nearly 744,000 other residents in New Jersey’s 12th Congressional District. Each day, I receive hundreds of letters on dozens of topics. I thought I would share with you some of the letters I recently received, as well as my replies.


A resident of Lawrence Township wrote encouraging me to right the wrongs of unequal access to sexual and reproductive healthcare by investing $1 billion annually in international family planning. I wrote to let her know that I am a cosponsor of the Global Democracy Promotion Act, which would codify President Obama’s Executive Order lifting the global “gag rule” on U.S. funding for international family planning services.

Georgia from Princeton wrote to thank me for cosponsoring the Big Cats and Public Safety Protection Act. I let Georgia know I was a cosponsor of the bill because protecting our environment and the animals we share it with is one of my top legislative priorities, and that humane treatment of animals is a mark of a civilized society. In fact, I have earned a lifetime 100 percent rating from the Humane Society Legislative Fund.

Marion from South River emailed me to urge passage of the Stop Corporate Inversions Act, which would prevent U.S. companies from declaring themselves as foreign entities to avoid millions in taxes. I wrote to let her know that I am a cosponsor of the bill because U.S. companies engaging in these activities and deriving benefits from operating in the U.S. should not cheat the system by avoiding the costs of maintaining our society.
Sincerely,

Rush Holt
Member of Congress

No comments: