Saturday, May 10, 2014

Who Made a Difference to You?

The following is from Congressman Rush Holt's newsletter:

This is Teacher Appreciation Week. I suspect you know a teacher who would welcome your appreciation.

Recently, I took the time to track down my ninth-grade math teacher. He was a very creative teacher who showed us students some of the many facets that make up that rich subject.

It turns out that my one-time teacher has retired to California. He remembered me as a student, but had no idea what I’ve been up to since my teenage years. He told me my call meant a lot to him. I know it meant a lot to me to express to him my memories of his course and the difference he made.

One of New Jersey’s Most Valuable Natural Resources

Over the last few years, wind has become a major source of energy – not just a curiosity, but a fast-growing part of our energy supply. Nationally, wind delivers more than 4 percent of our power, and over the last five years it has provided nearly a third of new generating capacity.

New Jersey has more wind potential than nearly any other Atlantic U.S. Coastal state. Planned federal lease sales off of New Jersey’s coast could result in up to 3,000 MW of offshore wind power, enough to power 1 million homes.

Earlier this week the Department of Energy (DOE) awarded a $6.7 million grant to help us harvest that potential. The money will support the next phase of review and development of the Fishermen’s Energy Atlantic City Wind Farm, a five-turbine, 25 MW demonstration project slated for construction just off the New Jersey coast. Following a review of progress on the project, DOE expects to provide an additional $40 million.

To make this project a reality, we will need support from Governor Christie and the Board of Public Utilities, who have so far stalled progress at every step. I hope that this week’s funding leads the Christie Administration to reconsider its obstruction. The federal government is very literally offering us free money to begin to harvest our winds to create energy and create jobs. We can’t afford to say no.

What’s Your Story About the Minimum Wage?

Last year New Jerseyans voted by a large margin to raise our state’s minimum wage to $8.25 an hour. But we can do more.

Together with nearly 200 other members of Congress, I have cosponsored the Fair Minimum Wage Act, which would increase the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour and would increase minimum wages for tipped workers, such as restaurant servers.

My Democratic colleagues on the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce are seeking stories from individuals, organizations, and businesses about how increasing the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour would affect working families and local communities.

To share your story, please e-mail me through my website.

Sincerely,

Rush Holt
Member of Congress

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my parents as it should be