Monday, December 27, 2010

I Find It Hard To Believe, Where Are All The Snowplows?

That this last blizzard of 2010 took anyone one by surprise. It had been the talk of all the local weatherman for days leading up to Christmas, they all said that it was going to be a big one, at least 12 inches or more.

So after spending a better part of the day shoveling out my cars (yes I said shoveling, because the fuel line ruptured on the snow thrower), I took one of the cars around the corner just to see how things were. I was astonished to find that not one of the streets in my neighborhood had been plowed! Where are the snowplows!

Many cars look as if they were stuck after neighbors pulled them out of the driveways, in order to clear them and were then unable to get them back in. I myself almost got stuck around the corner from my house before I was able to make it back safely to my driveway.

And if you think the streets and peoples driveways are a problem, then you might as well forget about sidewalks getting cleared anytime soon. If the clean up after this storm is like the last blizzard that hit back in February, once trucks make it out, they will be running so fast down each street that the snow flying off their plows will be thrown-up onto the sidewalks, making it almost impossible for residents to clear.

I understand that Middletown got hit pretty hard with this storm, by all accounts nearly 21 inches of snow fell around town, but unlike other storms that hit earlier this year plow trucks were on the road most of the night and day clearing streets. I can't remember the last time I've seen it like this.

Was there no money left in this years budget to cover snow removal expenses after making such big deal about how $900K had to be added to the 2010 budget for winter storms that hit January and February? After all, whatever the cost of the clean-up of this storm winds up being, it will be rolled into the 2011 budget anyway, so why not get all available crews out there plowing and clearing streets like was done earlier in the year. It couldn't have been a lack of contractors available because I witnessed over a dozen of them driving up and down Main Street looking for work.

The next time I see one of them I think I will have them stop.

(The picture above was taken from an upstairs window earlier this morning, but it doesn't do justice to what it actually looks like on the ground)

23 comments:

lincroftgal said...

It is 8:04pm on Dec. 27, and we still haven't seen a snowplow on Broadmoor Drive in Lincroft...this is absolutely disgraceful!!!!

Wazzup! said...

It's almost 9:00 PM on Dec 27, and no snowplows seen yet since this storm began (Beacon Hill Estates... off Hosford avenue, Koosman Drive/Decker/Hanne). Need to go to work tomorrow and it's not looking too promising right now.

MiddletownMike said...

I am still waiting for plows also Brian.

Something unusual is going on here, back in February we did not have this problem. I don't see what could possibly be different this time.

To bad there was no one down at town hall to complain to, they took the day because of the storm.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I just went on Facebook and there are many local friends asking where are the snow plows?

MiddletownMike said...

I think they have some explaining to do! It's a good thing I don't have to be to work until tomorrow night, unlike others.

RiverPlazaDogGirl said...

Hey Mike- About town hall being closed today, the governor declared a state of emergency and all vehicles were told to stay off the roads. Only common sense, of course. Anyone who added to the dangerous driving conditions by venturing onto the roads unless they absolutely had to was an idiot. I hope you weren't implying that town hall being closed was a frivolous decision. If you couldn't get out of your street today because of deep snow, how did you expect the municipal workers to get out of theirs? Middletown certainly wasn't unique in being closed after a blizzard; most, if not all the towns in NJ affected by the storm were closed.

MiddletownMike said...

Hey doggie girl,

You are absolutely correct, I didn't mean to imply that people should be going to work under emergency conditions.

The point that I meant to make was that there would have been no one to call down at town hall to talk to.

RiverPlazaDogGirl said...

Good. I'm glad you weren't implying that.

bones57 said...

10:25 no plows anywhere, disgraceful.

lincroftgal said...

Someone posted on nj.com about the possibility of a job action by Middletown employees; anyone know if this is true or not?

Anonymous said...

It is 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. We have still not had our street plowed. My truck could never get down the street. I have never seen such a bad job of plowing (and it used to snow a lot when I was younger). I hear no plows and no one answers at public works, my husband can't go to work again and I can't get food. I just hope someone pays for this! We are in Lincroft (they also have still not picked up our leaves!.. maybe they can do it all at once?)

Anonymous said...

It is 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. We have still not had our street plowed. My truck could never get down the street. I have never seen such a bad job of plowing (and it used to snow a lot when I was younger). I hear no plows and no one answers at public works, my husband can't go to work again and I can't get food. I just hope someone pays for this! We are in Lincroft (they also have still not picked up our leaves!.. maybe they can do it all at once?)

Anonymous said...

All we want is good govt. If we have to pay the taxes we do we expect the govt to work. Things like snow plows is part of the equation. Unfortunately I fear that we are going the way of Colorado Springs where they turn off the streetlights, do no maintenance on ball fields, don't pick up the trash etc...

For the outrageous taxes that we pay to fund the city we should be getting gold plated services, including snow plowing.

Anonymous said...

10:20 on Dec. 28- still no plow on presidential path off Kings Highway east. Couldn't they just drive down once and make a path?

Barbara R. Thorpe said...

The County plows Swimming River Road and the other major county roads in town and we always are taken care of. If the County can do a good job,what's wrong with Middletown Township ? We are not some little community without equipment.

Just wait and see...more excuses as that's what administration in this town does best is whine and make excuses. .

Dog Girl, don't believe there are restrictions on those providing emergency and essential services who must reach their jobs to provide those services.

Anonymous said...

It's now 11:30am on Wednesday December 28. The snow stopped between 2 and 6 am yesterday. We still have not seen a plow. A neighbor had a friend with a back loader scrape out a single lane to the county road at the end of our street, where plows have cleared the road every half hour or so and the pavement is clear.

Great job and we can only expect more from the newly elected township clownmitte.

Anonymous said...

What do you think the "five stooges" we have after 1/2/11 will do for us??

Better be a good scout and "be prepared" because it will not improve and remember you elected them !!

Wazzup! said...

Tuesday 12:30 pm 12/28/10

About 50 hours has passed since snow began, still no plows. (off Hosford Drive)

No news on http://www.middletownnj.org
(other than that garbage pickup canceled)

RiverPlazaDogGirl said...

Barbara -

I realize the road restrictions didn't extend to essential workers, like DPW plow drivers and emergency service workers. I was referring to municipal office workers. I understand those offices are open today, but don't know how many employees got in to work, as it seems plenty of the roads in town have yet to be plowed. I know this was an epic storm but man, I haven't seen or heard a plow in over 24 hours. My street, and my mother's in Lincroft, hasn't been touched. It'll probably melt before we see a plow!

Wazzup! said...

Snow Plow Update (It's about time!)
http://www.middletownnj.org/html/ImportantNoticeDetails.asp?NoticeIDReq=374d9de0-6385-490a-8ab6-ffcc9d9df1d6

Anonymous said...

Why wouldn't the township use the reverse 911 and alert residents of the snow plowing status?
People need to know what is going on.
Other towns do this, but we only get a robo call alerting recycling.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Check out resolution 10-264 that was passed on Oct. 18. It states that the Town contracted 7 different companies to plow snow. The contract calls to pay them $70K per year.

Also, I remember you reported during the summer that Middletown purchased 5 new pick-ups with snow plows attached. What's up with that.

Anonymous said...

Pickup trucks are not going to move this snow. The decisions that are made by what we have for administration just affirm how inadequate these "representatives" really are. What is wrong with the township administrator,he is paid to make better decisions ?

Wonder at how much common sense there really is collectively....so far not very reassuring !

Now they are screwing around with people's lives and safety and ability to get to work.

They take the people of Middletown for FOOLS don't they ?