Thursday, November 18, 2010

Breaking News: Rumors From The School Yard; Middletown School Superintendent Karen Bilbao Resigns

When picking my son up from school today, several mothers in the school yard were talking about Middletown School Superintendent Karen Bilbao. The rumor that spread across the schoolyard like wildfire was that she had resigned her position as Superintendent of the Middletown School system at last nights Board of Education meeting during Executive Session. No mention of her resignation was made during the public portion of the meeting I am told.

One of the mothers that told me of Bilbao's resignation is an active PTO member and a class mom at my son's school. She had heard for weeks that Bilbao was planning on retiring but never thought that it would be before the school year ended.The mother told me that she had heard that Bilbao had gotten "Some big state job" having to do with education.

I made a couple of phone calls to try and confirm what I hard heard, and I found out that the rumor seems to be fact. Evidently Bilbao doesn't want to be the fall person or lighting rod for this years upcoming battles over the school budget or contract negotiations between the Board of Education and the teachers union, so she thinks now is the best time to go.

Another possible reason why she is leaving now I was told, was because the current members that make up the Middletown Board of Education has made it difficult and at times caustic to work with.

The one thing that I wasn't able to nail down as of yet is the exact date that she will be leaving, but those that I have talked to seem to think that it will be at the end of this month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard the same rumors probably around the same time as you. She supposedly took a regional director position with a staffing agency providing physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language services in NJ schools. I am not sure whether it's true though :-/